Realized gain is the amount by which the sale price of an asset exceeds its purchase price.
For stocks, determination of realized gain and loss requires:
- matching of buy and sell data
- if applicable, accounting for option transactions
- accounting for wash sales
Our online application converts your data file containing realized gain and loss data.
Be sure to download a realized gain and loss data file from your broker. For example, E*Trade users should download from the realized gain tab not the transaction history tab.
Our programs can read files in the following formats:
- Tax exchange format (TXF)
- Comma separated values (CSV)
- Extensible markup language (XML)
- Microsoft Excel 97-2004 (XLS)
- Microsoft Excel 2007 (XLSX)
- Open Financial Exchange Version 2 (XML)
We cannot read files in the following formats:
- Adobe portable document format (PDF)
- Open Financial Exchange Version 1 (SGML)
- Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML)